[Openstack] Multiple Versions in Openstack API

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Mar 3 16:37:30 UTC 2011

Trey Morris wrote:
> maybe I'm missing something, but if you don't want to run a recent API
> why should you expect to be able to run it with a recent release of
> nova? I think trying to support older and new versions at the same time
> would clip our wings, or at the very least add some nastiness to the
> code. If someone wants to run old API, they should have to run old
> openstack with it. If they want new openstack, they should run the new
> API. I do apologize if I am in fact missing something.

Don't apologize, I may well be the one missing something, since this is
a bit out of my focus area :)

I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that the goal of having API versions was
to support old clients. Imagine someone somewhere writes a PHP
application that uses 1.1 API to talk to OpenStack clouds in general.
Once those are upgraded to the new release (that only supports 1.2)
those old external clients are left broken... Also what's the point of
including the API version in requests if you only support one ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack