[Openstack] Compute API 1.1 -- Seeking Community Input

Monsyne Dragon mdragon at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jun 29 20:51:35 UTC 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:08 PM, Lorin Hochstein wrote:

Hi Jorge:

So far, I've been strictly a ecuatools user for interacting with OpenStack, but I'm interested in playing with tools that use the API. Is there some equivalent set of tools that provides a CLI for doing basic things like launching instances, listing images, etc by talking to the OpenStack API?

Also, is https://github.com/rackspace/python-cloudfiles the OpenStack equivalent of "boto" for EC2, or is it unrelated to OpenStack?

I did some quick searches on the wiki but couldn't find the answers to either of these questions.

Heya, Yes, there is the 'python-novaclient' package which provides a cli (the 'nova' command), as well as a programmatic interface for python code.

And, yes, CloudFiles == Openstack/Swift so most cloudfiles clients / client-libraries should work just fine.  (we usually use the swift_client that's bundled with the swift code,  but I don't know if that's available separately)
(Really,  the swift api is simple enough that I've seen clients implemented with curl and bash scripts :)   )

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein, Computer Scientist
USC Information Sciences Institute