[Openstack] Default ports for services

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jun 27 08:01:55 UTC 2011

Todd Willey wrote:
> I think people will probably deploy in such a way that clients talk to
> 80 or 443.  But there are a number of ways to get to that outcome,
> including specifying it in the server configuration, or running behind
> load balancers or other front-end services.  Running everything be
> default on different ports by default has little bearing on how it
> gets run in production.

Also running on *separate* ports has an added advantage in distro
packaging: you can apt-get install the different components and start
them up at install-time with default configs, without having to care for
them potentially interfering with each other in the (common) case of
all-in-ones.

If we switch to using 80/8080 by default everywhere, to workaround this
issue we'll have to package each component with a config that enables a
specific port. And then we have a different defaults (the "packaging"
default and the "what happens when I remove the port option" default),
which will be confusing... for little gain.

So I'm -1 on this :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack