[Openstack] XML and JSON for API's

Joseph Heck heckj at mac.com
Thu Jun 2 18:51:32 UTC 2011

I beg to differ on the value of XML to enterprise customers - My perception is that validation of the data structure and valid values is important, but that doesn't mean it needs to be XML. The same can be done with JSON (although there's not the fancy validators set up for that), and JSON is establishing itself as a very common mechanism that's quick and easy to use.

The complaint with API's  - XML or JSON - from people working in enterprises and using them (speaking as one) is that the data structures aren't well known/documented and available to be understood. JSON data structures tend to be simpler (I know - I'm making a hasty generalization) and *simpler* wins the day for me.

If you argued XML output to match with pre-existing tools, I'd buy that. Not for "enterprise customers will be happier with it".

-joe