[Openstack] XML and JSON for API's

Jorge Williams jorge.williams at rackspace.com
Thu Jun 2 18:20:54 UTC 2011

I think we would lose some of the benefits of REST if we were to support a single format.  My experience is that we have two communities of customers some of which prefer XML and others prefer JSON and we should be able to serve both communities.  Amazon handles the same problem by supporting two kinds of APIs SOAP and Query -- REST allows us the capability to serve customers with a single API.

XML offers a lot of benefits in terms of validation, transformation, and tooling that's important for enterprise customers -- JSON makes sense in other contexts particularly web development.  I feel all  core apis should support both.

-jOrGe W.