[Openstack] SQLAlchemy migration number conflicts

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Wed Jun 1 14:50:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 09:47 -0400, Dan Prince wrote:
> We are getting lots of conflicts with migration numbers in merge
> props.
>
> What are thoughts on using date time stamps (UTC format) instead of
> sequential numbering?

I suspect that you'd have the potential for a more subtle form of
conflict.  What if two different merges make slightly different changes
to one column, perhaps due to insufficient coordination between the two
branches?  I'd rather see one developer have to go back, check what the
new variant on the column is, and adapt their migration to match.  Yes,
it's a headache, but...
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>