[Openstack] SQLAlchemy migration number conflicts

Dan Prince dan.prince at rackspace.com
Wed Jun 1 13:47:04 UTC 2011

We are getting lots of conflicts with migration numbers in merge props.

What are thoughts on using date time stamps (UTC format) instead of sequential numbering?

So instead of:

021_rename_image_ids.py

We'd use:

20110402122512_rename_image_ids.py (or something similar).

Rails projects now use this naming scheme as the default primarily to avoid merge conflicts. I personally like the a sequential numbering scheme better for many of my smaller projects but the DTS format makes sense when there are many people on a project.

Do SQLAlchemy migrations even support this?

Dan