[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Mon Jul 11 23:39:02 UTC 2011

Den 11/07/2011 19.08 skrev "Brian Schott" <brian.schott at nimbisservices.com>:
> On Jul 11, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
> > 2) Use the first 8 chars, and accept an occasional duplicate ID.
 > +1 this will be incredibly rare, just return an API error if
request is ambiguous

> > 3) Use the first 8 chars, but add duplication checking.
> +1 no duplication checking on UUID creation (this breaks UUID benefits), but try to resolve the ambiguity in the API service handler when processing the call.

This would mean you'd have to perfrom collision checking on every
single API call except the create calls. I think it's a reasonably
fair assumption that you'll be querying/performing actions on existing
objects much more often than you'll create new ones, so that's much,
much worse than just doing it at create time.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/