[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Brian Schott brian.schott at nimbisservices.com
Mon Jul 11 16:53:47 UTC 2011

Ed,

Thanks for the succinct summary.

On Jul 11, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:

> 	If we decide to move to a full UUID design with EC2 API as a first-class citizen, then we have the question of how to represent the 32-character UUID in the 8-character EC2 ID format. Our choices there are:
>
> 1) Use the full 32 chars, and let the tools that assume 8 chars break.

-1 bad for existing tool compatibility, probably a waste of time

> 2) Use the first 8 chars, and accept an occasional duplicate ID.

+1 this will be incredibly rare, just return an API error if request is ambiguous

> 3) Use the first 8 chars, but add duplication checking.

+1 no duplication checking on UUID creation (this breaks UUID benefits), but try to resolve the ambiguity in the API service handler when processing the call.  If you filter on user permissions to the instance and the probability of collision plummets. You have to authenticate the user credentials anyway, right?  The probability that the same user will have an internal collision in his own pool of instances is very small.

Brian Schott, CTO
Nimbis Services, Inc.
brian.schott at nimbisservices.com
ph: 443-274-6064  fx: 443-274-6060