[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Ed Leafe ed.leafe at rackspace.com
Mon Jul 11 19:37:51 UTC 2011

On Jul 11, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Chris Behrens wrote:

>> 	It's a shame that the ipv6 proposal was never more fully considered. That would handle the uniqueness, with the added benefit of providing simple zone routing via DNS, with the exact same 128-bit/32 char size.
>
> I don't I remember that proposal, but that's such a neat idea.  Was anything discussed at all in Santa Clara regarding encoding zone information in the instance identifier?  I apparently missed the instance identifier discussion somehow.

	At the end of the instance referencing discussion, Van Lindbergh brought up the idea. We discussed it with several people both in the conference room and over lunch. I believe that the main objections were that not everyone would have an IPv6 creation scheme, whereas UUID generators are ubiquitous. The other was a vague concern about "revealing internal structure", but since the information "revealed" would be the exact same info in the instance's public network info, it didn't strike me as a serious concern.

-- Ed Leafe

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.