[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Eric Day eday at oddments.org
Mon Jul 11 18:04:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 05:17:05PM +0000, Sandy Walsh wrote:
> How is
>
> nova-<account>-<instance uuid>
>
> any different than:
>
> AAAABBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEE-FFFFGGGGHHHH
>
> Where AAAA/BBBB/CCCC (or some subset of them) are reserved/regulated?

Nothing, if DDDD-EEEE-FFFFGGGGHHHH is a full UUID. If we compare to
swift, the account prefix is a UUID too. The account prefix could be
fixed for a session or passed in to every request depending on how
things are decided. For example:

GET /servers/<account id>/<instance uuid>

where account ID could be a domain, uuid, etc. Another way to pass
the namespace is through part of the token:

GET /servers/<instance uuid>
Token: <token tied to a specific account>

The latter is simpler but less flexible since it may not allow for
operations on instances outside of the account the token was created
for. I'm a bit out of the loop on those type of API decisions right
now, so I'll stop there. :)

-Eric