[Openstack] Cross-zone instance identifiers in EC2 API - Is it worth the effort?

Bryan Taylor btaylor at rackspace.com
Sat Jul 9 15:17:21 UTC 2011

What if we wrote our own spec of the common features. Document the heck
out of anything where the amazon spec and implementation differ and follow
the implementation. Do to amazon what WS-I did to SOAP tools. Any fraction
of the market we can get perceiving value in the true interoperability
spec will become a weight around Amazon's neck.

Many adopters want switch-ability, as they are wise to the lock-in tricks
of market leaders. Open standards can deliver that, and reverse engineered
specs that become de facto standards can deliver that. The contest between
the two is to see which has more features and more implementations.

On 7/8/11 2:35 PM, "Ewan Mellor" <Ewan.Mellor at eu.citrix.com> wrote:

>If you believe that that's true, then we should get Amazon to redefine
>the EC2 spec to match the reality of what's in the field.
>
>Ewan.

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.