[Openstack] Compute API 1.1 -- Seeking Community Input

Steve Brown steve at zergsoft.com
Fri Jul 1 08:48:07 UTC 2011

Hi Lorin,

> Hi Jorge:
>
> So far, I've been strictly a ecuatools user for interacting with
> OpenStack, but I'm interested in playing with tools that use the API. Is
> there some equivalent set of tools that provides a CLI for doing basic
> things like launching instances, listing images, etc by talking to the
> OpenStack API?

Yup.  You can use the nova command, which is part of python-novaclient.
 Resize, boot, delete etc with it:

nova help

There is also nova-manage for setting up projects, networks, volumes
etc.  It is installed with nova-common.

One caveat:
glance add image.img

Will probably NOT do what you want it to.  You will probably want
glance-upload or nova-manage image all_register.  More info here:

http://zergsoft.blogspot.com/

> Also, is https://github.com/rackspace/python-cloudfiles the OpenStack
> equivalent of "boto" for EC2, or is it unrelated to OpenStack?

I'm not totally sure on this but I believe the python-novaclient is what
you want.  It has CLI and I think a Python interface as well, so it does
what boto does for the OSAPI.

> I did some quick searches on the wiki but couldn't find the answers to
> either of these questions.

It took me a lot o diggin too!

Hope this helps.

> Lorin
> --
> Lorin Hochstein, Computer Scientist
> USC Information Sciences Institute
> 703.812.3710
> http://www.east.isi.edu/~lorin
>
> On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:09 PM, Jorge Williams wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> New version of OpenStack Compute 1.1 API spec is out.
>>
>> PDF:
>>  http://docs.openstack.org/cactus/openstack-compute/developer/openstack-compute-api-1.1/os-compute-devguide-cactus.pdf
>> WebHelp:
>> http://docs.openstack.org/cactus/openstack-compute/developer/openstack-compute-api-1.1/content/index.html
>>
>> See the "Document Change History" section for a list of changes.
>>
>> I've gotten a lot of suggestions since the summit, and I've tried to
>> take them all into account. The only changes that I have planed is to
>> update some of the status codes as suggested by Mark Nottingham. That
>> said, I'd like to go through one final round of reviews before we fix
>> the contract.
>>
>> Please submit your comments by July 11th after which I propose we
>> freeze the core API -- new changes can come in as extensions or will
>> have to wait until the next version.
>>
>> You can contribute by leaving comments in the WebHelp version or if
>>  you find something broken, or want to make another change, you can
>> submit a merge request to the openstack-manuals project.
>>
>> Thank you very much for your input,
>>
>> jOrGe W.

Steve Brown
President
Zergsoft
Phone: (052) 752-4161 Fax: (052) 752-4162
steve at zergsoft.com
www.zergsoft.com

ブラウン スティーブン
有限会社ザーグソフト