[Openstack] Network Service for L2/L3 Network Infrastructure blueprint

Rick Clark rick at openstack.org
Fri Jan 28 15:06:08 UTC 2011

On 01/28/2011 08:55 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Rick Clark <rick at openstack.org> wrote:
> I recognise the desire to do this for Cactus, but I feel that pulling
> out the network controller (and/or volume controller) into their own
> separate OpenStack subprojects is not a good idea for Cactus.  Looking
> at the (dozens of) blueprints slated for Cactus, doing this kind of
> major rework will mean that most (if not all) of those blueprints will
> have to be delayed while this pulling out of code occurs. This will
> definitely jeopardise the Cactus release.
>
> My vote is to delay this at a minimum to the Diablo release.
>
> And, for the record, I haven't seen any blueprints for the network as
> a service or volume as a service projects. Can someone point us to
> them?
>
> Thanks!
> jay

Whew, Jay I thought you were advocating major changes in Cactus.  That
would completely mess up my view of the world :)

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bexar-network-service
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bexar-extend-network-model
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bexar-network-service

It was discussed at ODS, but I have not seen any code or momentum, to date.

I think it is worth while to have an open discussion about what if any
of this can be safely done in Cactus.  I like you, Jay, feel a bit
conservative.  I think we lost focus of the reason we chose time based
releases. It is time to focus on nova being a solid trustworthy
platform.  Features land when they are of sufficient quality, releases
contain only the features that passed muster.

I will be sending an email about the focus and theme of Cactus in a
little while.

Rick