[Openstack] Network Service for L2/L3 Network Infrastructure blueprint

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 14:55:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Rick Clark <rick at openstack.org> wrote:
> Soren will be running the network service infrastructure from the
> Rackspace/Openstack side.
>
> I want to temper this discussion by reminding everyone that Cactus will
> be a testing/stabilization release.  Feature freeze will come much
> quicker and we want anything major changes to hit very early.
>
> I think it is possible to come up with a plan that has the first phase
> of this blueprint hitting in Cactus, but we don't want to do anything
> that will jeopardize the stability of the network subsystem for Cactus.

I recognise the desire to do this for Cactus, but I feel that pulling
out the network controller (and/or volume controller) into their own
separate OpenStack subprojects is not a good idea for Cactus.  Looking
at the (dozens of) blueprints slated for Cactus, doing this kind of
major rework will mean that most (if not all) of those blueprints will
have to be delayed while this pulling out of code occurs. This will
definitely jeopardise the Cactus release.

My vote is to delay this at a minimum to the Diablo release.

And, for the record, I haven't seen any blueprints for the network as
a service or volume as a service projects. Can someone point us to
them?

Thanks!
jay