[Openstack] Glance x-image-meta-type raw vs machine

Diego Parrilla Santamaría diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 14:53:17 UTC 2011

An appliance is the combination of metadata describing the virtual machine
plus the virtual disks. The standard format in the virtualization industry
is OVF. Basically, differs from VMX+VMDK(s) because it has a XML format that
describes the virtual machine (and little bit its environment like
firewalling, policies, etc...).

VMX is VMware specific, and OVF is vendor agnostic (or should be...). From
my perspective VMX + VMDK(s) is not an appliance format, but this is the
kind of topic for a long discussion ;-)

If you are looking for a simple way to describe the virtual machine
parameters for an appliance, check OVF specs to get some inspiration. I
think OVF full spec is overkill because the simpler approach of Nova.

Diego

-
Diego Parrilla
nubeblog.com | nubeblog at nubeblog.com | twitter.com/nubeblog