[Openstack] Glance x-image-meta-type raw vs machine

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 14:32:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mellor at eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> Is there a name for the .vmx + .vmdk combination (i.e. a normal VMware VM format)?  Maybe just "VMX" as an appliance format?

Sorry for the probably ignorant question here (I'm pretty ignorant to
a lot of the virtualization details :( ). From Googling, it seems that
the VMX file is merely a configuration file fed to vmware along with a
VMDK when creating a virtual machine.  Is this considered an appliance
format? Thanks in advance,

-jay