[Openstack] Novatools ...

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 01:49:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Andy Smith <andyster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, my previous reply somehow isn't going through to the list... so...
> here it is again:
> I've got some objections so far:
> 1. relying on python-cloudservers is a good metric by which to judge your
> compatibility with the rackspace cloud, once jacob has accepted the changes
> to support changing the auth endpoint. My opinion is that this project
> should be a fork of python-cloudservers with the same name and whose
> intention is not to add additional features at this time.

Why? As much as I like JKM, I don't think relying on someone who has
no interaction with the OpenStack community to accept patches from the
OpenStack community is a good idea.

> 1a. To support your additional features for the very short term you should
> be writing extensions to python-cloudservers (possibly with your minor
> compat modifications) via actual python extension mechanisms (import,
> inherit and extend).

Again, why? With python-novatools we have complete control over the
code and don't need to push it back to python-cloudservers, which is
not OpenStack-based, it's specific to Rackspace Cloud Servers.

> 2. the existing spec for "openstack api 1.1" is still contested, so basing
> the tool chain going forward off of something that is made for compat with
> cloudservers is possibly misguided at this point.

Only if you hamstring it by saying that the changes should be pushed
back upstream.

> 3. i'm not sure there need to be separate tools/libraries to interact with
> each service, but i do like the idea of each being able ot provide a piece
> of a web dashboard.

I'm not sure I understand what #3 has to do with novatools being
separate from python-cloudservers. Could you explain?

-jay