[Openstack] Nova Subteam Changes

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Thu Dec 8 13:26:37 UTC 2011

2011/12/8 Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>:
> Soren Hansen wrote:
>> 2011/12/7 Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvananda at gmail.com>:
>>> 1) Weekly meeting for team leads. This is a time for us to discuss blueprint
>>> progress, multiple-team-related issues, etc. Going to shoot for Mondays at
>>> 2100 for this one.  I really need the subteam leads to commit to making this
>>> meeting. We can discuss at the first meeting and decide if there is a better
>>> time for this to occur.
>> I have a conflict in that time slot every other week, and frankly, I'd
>> really like to avoid more meetings. I'd by far prefer keeping to
>> e-mail, and if we (over e-mail) find something that warrants more
>> real-time discussion, we can put it on the agenda for our regular
>> openstack team meeting on Tuesdays.
> The problem is the general meeting has less and less time to dedicate to
> each project, so Vish identified that he could not get efficient subteam
> feedback and inter-subteam coordination from it... hence the need for a
> new meeting slot. It could be a short one (30min) at start.

I hear that, but I'd like us to at least *try* and get it to work
without stealing yet another one of my precious evenings for another
horribly inefficient meeting. There are lots and lots and lots of
thing we can do to avoid meetings that we haven't even tried. As a
start, team leads could send a weekly report about what the team has
been up to, what the challenges have been, and what they'll be doing
the next week.

When I say "horribly inefficient meeting" I'm not implying that our
meetings are more inefficient than anyone else's, but just that
meetings in general are horribly inefficient. The amount of
information per second is tremendously low, and everyone has to sit
through the whole thing even if they only care about a tiny fraction
of the agenda (if they're even so lucky to have a proper agenda).

Can we try to identify what sort of information we want from the
various teams and *then* figure out how to extract and distribute it
rather than just throwing a meeting slot at it?

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/