[Openstack] API specifications

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Dec 2 18:44:46 UTC 2011

Ah now it's time for me to apologize for the confusion. I had
collected a number of extensions documents prior to the nova project
moving to Github. They sat in a Launchpad branch. I never proposed a
merge. I'll put together a review request with the files added so they
can live in the nova project.

Here's a paste of what Chris sent for that, to get people started with
config_drive.

About This Extension
====================
The config-drive extension enables attaching a separate drive to the
Compute guest on instance create. It is used with the OpenStack
Compute 1.1 API to write configuration data into guest for those
guests whose root filesystems cannot be mounted by the Compute host.

To use this extension, you must have installed Compute, with libvirt
or Xen using local disk.

To obtain current information the extensions available to you, issue
an EXTENSION query on the OpenStack system where it is installed, such
as http://mycloud.com/v1.1/tenant/extensions.

Extension Overview
------------------

Name
    Config Drive

Namespace
	http://docs.openstack.org/ext/config-drive/api/v1.1

Alias
	ORG-EXT

Contact
    Christopher MacGown <chris at pistoncloud.com>

Status
	Alpha

Extension Version
	v1.0 (2011-09-16)

Dependencies
    Compute API 1.1

Doc Link (PDF)
	http://

Doc Link (WADL)
	http://

Short Description
	This extension enables the assignment of config-drives to a compute
guest on instance create running in an OpenStack cloud.

Sample Query Responses
----------------------

As shown below, responses to an EXTENSION query in XML or JSON provide
basic information about the extension.

Extension Query Response: XML::

Extension Query Response: JSON::

Document Change History
-----------------------

============= =====================================
Revision Date Summary of Changes
2011-09-16    Initial draft
============= =====================================

Summary of Changes
==================
This extension to the OpenStack Compute API allows the addition of a
configuration drive to an instance.

New Action
----------
None

New Faults
----------

None

New Headers
-----------
None

New Resources
-------------
This extension to the OpenStack Compute API adds the following resources:

A config_drive attribute to the servers API that is None by default,
but can optionally be True or the imageRef of a config-drive image.

Upon instance create, a guest built with a True config_drive attribute
will create a local volume and partition it as a fat32 drive, all
passed in metadata, networks, and keys will be written to the
config_drive which is associated as the last available disk on the
instance.
Upon instance create, a guest built with an imageRef config_drive
attribute will create a local volume from the image.

New States
----------

Changes to the Cloud Servers Specification

In section 4.1.2 (Create Servers) of the API Specification: Examples
4.3 and 4.4 should optionally add the config-drive attribute as in the
below examples:

Example XML with config_drive attribute = True::

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<server xmlns="http://docs.openstack.org/compute/api/v1.1"
        imageRef="http://servers.api.openstack.org/1234/images/52415800-8b69-11e0-9b19-734f6f006e54"
        flavorRef="52415800-8b69-11e0-9b19-734f1195ff37"
        name="new-server-test"
        config=drive="True"

  <metadata>
  </metadata>
  <personality>
    <file path="/etc/banner.txt">
        ICAgICAgDQoiQSBjbG91ZCBkb2VzIG5vdCBrbm93IHdoeSBp
        dCBtb3ZlcyBpbiBqdXN0IHN1Y2ggYSBkaXJlY3Rpb24gYW5k
        IGF0IHN1Y2ggYSBzcGVlZC4uLkl0IGZlZWxzIGFuIGltcHVs
        c2lvbi4uLnRoaXMgaXMgdGhlIHBsYWNlIHRvIGdvIG5vdy4g
        QnV0IHRoZSBza3kga25vd3MgdGhlIHJlYXNvbnMgYW5kIHRo
        ZSBwYXR0ZXJucyBiZWhpbmQgYWxsIGNsb3VkcywgYW5kIHlv
        dSB3aWxsIGtub3csIHRvbywgd2hlbiB5b3UgbGlmdCB5b3Vy
        c2VsZiBoaWdoIGVub3VnaCB0byBzZWUgYmV5b25kIGhvcml6
        b25zLiINCg0KLVJpY2hhcmQgQmFjaA==
    </file>
  </personality>
</server>

Example XML with config_drive attribute is an imageRef::

        config_drive="http://servers.api.openstack.org/1234/images/52415800-8b69-1341-9b19-734f6f006e54"

  <metadata>
  </metadata>
  <personality>
    <file path="/etc/banner.txt">
        ICAgICAgDQoiQSBjbG91ZCBkb2VzIG5vdCBrbm93IHdoeSBp
        dCBtb3ZlcyBpbiBqdXN0IHN1Y2ggYSBkaXJlY3Rpb24gYW5k
        IGF0IHN1Y2ggYSBzcGVlZC4uLkl0IGZlZWxzIGFuIGltcHVs
        c2lvbi4uLnRoaXMgaXMgdGhlIHBsYWNlIHRvIGdvIG5vdy4g
        QnV0IHRoZSBza3kga25vd3MgdGhlIHJlYXNvbnMgYW5kIHRo
        ZSBwYXR0ZXJucyBiZWhpbmQgYWxsIGNsb3VkcywgYW5kIHlv
        dSB3aWxsIGtub3csIHRvbywgd2hlbiB5b3UgbGlmdCB5b3Vy
        c2VsZiBoaWdoIGVub3VnaCB0byBzZWUgYmV5b25kIGhvcml6
        b25zLiINCg0KLVJpY2hhcmQgQmFjaA==
    </file>
  </personality>
</server>

Example JSON with config_drive attribute is true::

{
    "server" : {
        "name" : "new-server-test",
        "imageRef" :
"http://servers.api.openstack.org/1234/images/52415800-8b69-11e0-9b19-734f6f006e54",
        "flavorRef" : "52415800-8b69-11e0-9b19-734f1195ff37",
        "config_drive" : "true",
        "metadata" : {
            "My Server Name" : "Apache1"
        },
        "personality" : [
            {
                "path" : "/etc/banner.txt",
                "contents" : "ICAgICAgDQoiQSBjbG91ZCBkb2VzIG5vdCBrbm93IHdoeSBp
 dCBtb3ZlcyBpbiBqdXN0IHN1Y2ggYSBkaXJlY3Rpb24gYW5k
 IGF0IHN1Y2ggYSBzcGVlZC4uLkl0IGZlZWxzIGFuIGltcHVs
 c2lvbi4uLnRoaXMgaXMgdGhlIHBsYWNlIHRvIGdvIG5vdy4g
 QnV0IHRoZSBza3kga25vd3MgdGhlIHJlYXNvbnMgYW5kIHRo
 ZSBwYXR0ZXJucyBiZWhpbmQgYWxsIGNsb3VkcywgYW5kIHlv
 dSB3aWxsIGtub3csIHRvbywgd2hlbiB5b3UgbGlmdCB5b3Vy
 c2VsZiBoaWdoIGVub3VnaCB0byBzZWUgYmV5b25kIGhvcml6
 b25zLiINCg0KLVJpY2hhcmQgQmFjaA=="
            }
        ]
    }
}

Example JSON with config_drive attribute is an imageRef::

{
    "server" : {
        "name" : "new-server-test",
        "imageRef" :
"http://servers.api.openstack.org/1234/images/52415800-8b69-11e0-9b19-734f6f006e54",
        "flavorRef" : "52415800-8b69-11e0-9b19-734f1195ff37",
        "config_drive" :
[...]

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Nachi Ueno
<ueno.nachi at nttdata-agilenet.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> Sorry, I missed that.
> Would you give me url?
>
> Such as console.py, it is not in contrib directory.
>
> 2011/12/2 Christopher MacGown <chris at pistoncloud.com>:
>> Hi Nachi,
>>
>> At least for config_drive, it has been documented as an extension.
>>
>> - chris
>>
>> On Dec 2, 2011, at 10:07, Nachi Ueno <ueno.nachi at nttdata-agilenet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Brian
>>>
>>> Thank you for your response.
>>> How about params which is missing in docs?
>>>
>>> accessIPv4
>>> accessIPv6
>>> adminPass
>>> config_drive