[Openstack] Ubuntu run instance error + xen

Leo van den Bulck lvdbulck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 17:38:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

The weird thing is that I seem to be *almost* the only person having this problem - googling around I came across just one other person reporting exactly this same issue.

Anyway thanks for the feedback, see some remarks below.

On Aug 26, 2011, at 4:37 PM, Scott Moser wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Leo van den Bulck wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Talking about cloud-init and Ubuntu instances... I have a problem related to that part which I can't really reproduce reliably.
>>
>> When spinning up an Ubuntu "tty" image, I'm often seeing this, during the cloud-init/cloud-setup phase:
>>
>> cloud-setup: cloudinit: getting ssh keys: [0=test]
>> stty: /dev/console
>> System is configured for NO sshd.
>
> Well, if you can help figure out what is going wrong, then I'll fix that
> in the images.  Just looking through code, I can't see what would be doing
> it other than you passing a kernel command line option to your instances
> of 'nosshd' .  But surely you'd know that.

Yes - that's not the case...

>> and then I'm unable to ssh to my instance: I'm getting "connection refused", because there's no sshd runnng on port 22.
>>
>> The weird thing is, when I repeat the same Openstack/nova installation procedure a few days later, I would typically not get this issue.
>> Then after another installation attempt yet a few days later the issue would crop up again.
>>
>> Does any recognize this error or know what it means? Maybe cloud-init/setup fails to fetch the keys and as a result won't start up sshd ?
>
> There is a bug that I should fix where the image tries to figure out if
> this is a slow system, and if so, it will not generate ssh keys.  clearly
> you *always* want ssh keys generated if its your only access to the system
> even if it takes a long time.

So, in theory that might be the explanation then... which of course would raise the question why the system would be 'slow' in one case and not in the other.
In both cases it says cloud-setup finished in around 20 to 22 seconds.

>> The only thing that MIGHT be a factor is that at one point I pulled sources from Launchpad/Bazaar and next time I used the Git mirror.
>> I could try that again and see if that's the culprit. So then it would be down to the particular version of the source code or the build of the tty image, etc.
>
> I can't imagine that this would be an issue.
> Could you give a url to exactly what you're using as the ttylinux image?

I've used nova.sh to install and run nova - the image downloaded by nova.sh is:

http://images.ansolabs.com/tty.tgz

On three successive installations with this same "nova.sh" script (and hence with the same image) i've seen different results:
(1) everything works, (2) 'no sshd' issue, (3) everything works again.

Same story with the images under http://smoser.brickies.net/ubuntu/ttylinux-uec - so, I get the impression that the issue isn't with the images per se but it's something outside of it -
something to do with cloud-init/setup which queries a meta data service (mapped to the nova API service) ?