[Openstack] Ubuntu run instance error + xen

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 26 14:37:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Leo van den Bulck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Talking about cloud-init and Ubuntu instances... I have a problem related to that part which I can't really reproduce reliably.
>
> When spinning up an Ubuntu "tty" image, I'm often seeing this, during the cloud-init/cloud-setup phase:
>
> cloud-setup: cloudinit: getting ssh keys: [0=test]
> stty: /dev/console
> System is configured for NO sshd.

Well, if you can help figure out what is going wrong, then I'll fix that
in the images.  Just looking through code, I can't see what would be doing
it other than you passing a kernel command line option to your instances
of 'nosshd' .  But surely you'd know that.

> and then I'm unable to ssh to my instance: I'm getting "connection refused", because there's no sshd runnng on port 22.
>
> The weird thing is, when I repeat the same Openstack/nova installation procedure a few days later, I would typically not get this issue.
> Then after another installation attempt yet a few days later the issue would crop up again.
>
> Does any recognize this error or know what it means? Maybe cloud-init/setup fails to fetch the keys and as a result won't start up sshd ?

There is a bug that I should fix where the image tries to figure out if
this is a slow system, and if so, it will not generate ssh keys.  clearly
you *always* want ssh keys generated if its your only access to the system
even if it takes a long time.

> The only thing that MIGHT be a factor is that at one point I pulled sources from Launchpad/Bazaar and next time I used the Git mirror.
> I could try that again and see if that's the culprit. So then it would be down to the particular version of the source code or the build of the tty image, etc.

I can't imagine that this would be an issue.
Could you give a url to exactly what you're using as the ttylinux image?

I've recently been working on this some, and I plan to start making those
things with more sane version numbers than are present now.
the recent snapshots i have at
http://smoser.brickies.net/ubuntu/ttylinux-uec/dev/ support running under
nova-lxc also.