[Openstack] openstack dashboard error "AttributeError at /auth/login/ 'Settings' object has no attribute 'SWIFT_ENABLED'"

Leo van den Bulck lvdbulck at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 21:27:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

I followed these instructions to get Openstack/Nova running under VirtualBox:

http://cloudbuilders.github.com/deploy.sh/single-node-nova-installation-using-vagrant-and-chef.html

Now everything is going fine, including running a compute instance with "euca-run-instances" and connecting to it via ssh.

However when I try to view the Openstack Dashboard running on 192.168.86.100, I'm getting the following error dump in my browser:

AttributeError at /auth/login/

'Settings' object has no attribute 'SWIFT_ENABLED'
Request Method:	GET
Request URL:	http://192.168.86.100/auth/login/?next=/dash/
Django Version:	1.3
Exception Type:	AttributeError
Exception Value:
'Settings' object has no attribute 'SWIFT_ENABLED'
Exception Location:	/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/utils/functional.py in __getattr__, line 277
Python Executable:	/usr/bin/python
Python Version:	2.6.6
Python Path:
['/srv/dashboard/django-openstack',
'/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/mox-0.5.3-py2.6.egg',
'/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6',
'/srv/dashboard/django-openstack/src/openstack',
'/srv/dashboard/django-openstack/src/openstackx',
'/usr/lib/python2.6',
'/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2',
'/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk',
'/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old',
'/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload',
'/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages',
'/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages',
'/srv/dashboard/openstack-dashboard',
'/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0',
'/srv/dashboard/openstack-dashboard/dashboard']

Has anybody seen this error, or (even better) does anybody know how to resolve this?

Thanks a lot,
Leo

P.S. by the way -- above I said that running an instance with "euca-run-instances" and connecting to it via ssh goes fine - HOWEVER,
this seems to be a tad unreliable - "sometimes" it works and "sometimes" it doesn't.

The part that didn't work was ssh-ing to the instance.

I could ping my new instance successfully, but ssh-ing to it gave me "connection refused" (as did telnetting on port 22).
When viewing the instance's console using "euca-get-console-output", I saw the following message: "System is configured for NO sshd".
This was at the end of the cloud-setup/cloud-init part, i.e. after the console lines:

cloud-setup: checking http:\/\/169.254.169.254\/2009-04-04\/meta-data\/instance-id
cloud-setup: successful after 1\/30 tries: up 21.36. iid=i-00000001
cloud-setup: cloudinit: getting ssh keys: [0=test]

So it looked like for some reason the sshd daemon wasn't starting on the image.

I had this issue all the time, now suddenly it's gone - anybody knows what "System is configured for NO sshd" means or why this is (was) happening?