[Openstack] Moving code hosting to GitHub

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Apr 27 14:34:13 UTC 2011

FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> Why do you think that we (openstack developers) can't live without the
> tools around launchpad? Ten times bigger community (linux kernel) has
> been fine without such tools.

If you are not involved in release management, I'm pretty sure you can
live without release management tools.

The big difference with Linux kernel is that the kernel release process
is handled by a BDFL that can (and does) make unilateral decisions. The
Openstack release process is a community effort: to generate clarity,
engagement  and cohesion around it, we need tools that allow everyone to
track what needs to be done and participate.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack