[Openstack] Atlas - Load Balancing Open Source Project

Josh Odom josh.odom at rackspace.com
Sat Apr 23 04:27:51 UTC 2011

Stackers,
I'm excited to tell the OpenStack community that the Atlas team within
Rackspace is open sourcing our load balancing service.  Next week we will
be proposing that this project be recognized as an affiliated OpenStack
project in incubation status.

The Rackspace Cloud has been operating this product in a beta phase since
November of last year and this week has just gone into general
availability.  We¹ve been very pleased with the reception from our
customers and excited about the prospect of this project potentially being
part of the larger OpenStack community.

The project is hosted at https://launchpad.net/atlas-lb and the team is
excited to collaborate with others in the OpenStack community to make the
code better and to integrate with the other applicable OpenStack projects.

Uma Goring, the engineering manager for the project within Rackspace and
the project technical lead and I will be hosting a session at the summit
to review the project and some of our ideas for the path forward. As part
of this effort, we will begin the discussion on the API specification for
version 1.1 of the service.  This will be done completely in the open with
the community; using the mailing list, IRC channel, and the OpenStack wiki.

We¹re excited about this project and look forward to discussing further at
the design summit next week.  We¹ve opened a blueprint to facilitate the
discussion around this project @
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-devel/+spec/openstack-lbaas.

-Josh