[Openstack] Thinking about Openstack Volume API

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 21:40:16 UTC 2011

One of the first steps needed to help decouple volumes from Nova, is to
define what the Openstack Volume API should look like.  I would like to
start
by discussing the main api endpoints, and discussing the interaction of
compute attaching/detaching from volumes.

All of the following endpoints will support basic CRUD opperations similar
others described in the Openstack 1.1 API.

/volumes
    Justin already has a pretty good start to this.  We will need to discuss
    what data we will need to store/display about volumes, but I will save
    that for a later discussion.

/snapshots
    This will allow us to expose snapshot functionality from the underlying
    storage systems.

/exports
    This will be used to expose a volume to be consumed by an external
system.
    The Nova attach api call will make a call to /exports to set up a volume
    to be attached to a VM.  This will store information that is specific
    about a particular attachement (for example maybe CHAP authentication
    information for an iscsi export).  This helps with decoupling volumes
    from nova, and makes the attachement process more generic so that other
    systems can easily consume the volumes service.  It is also undecided
if
    this should be a publicly available api, or just used by backend
services.

The exports endpoint is the biggest change that we are proposing, so we
would
like to solicit feedback on this idea.

--
Chuck Thier (@creiht)