[Openstack] Lunr FAQ

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 19:26:02 UTC 2011

I have already received quite a few questions about the Lunr project, so I
would like to attempt to answer most of them in one post.

* What is it?

    Lunr is a project to extend and evolve the Volume Services currently in
the Nova compute project.

* What is happening to introduce the project to the Openstack community?
 Are we able to discuss this at next week's design summit?

    We are working on getting the following done before the design summit
next week:

    * Choose a project name - DONE (Lunr)
    * Identify a project lead - DONE (Chuck Thier @creiht)
    * Set up a project repository
    * Introduce the project to the Openstack mailing list - DONE
    * Begin Openstack Volume API discussion on the mailing list - Coming
soon!
    * Create a blueprint signaling the intention of building this service -
DONE
    * Schedule blueprint for discussion at the next design summit - DONE

 * Is this an open project?  How does it work with other Openstack projects?

    The Lunr project will be developed as an opensource project and involve
the Openstack community.  Initially it is proposed as an incubated Openstack
project.  The Lunr project plans on adopting the common services required
(such as authn/authz) when they are available.  The Lunr API will be able to
be consumed by Nova and any other Openstack project that needs to provision
and manage block storage volumes.

  * What is the release schedule for this project?
    We are working on having a deployable service in the Diablo release
timeframe that will work with Nova.

  * How does this relate to the existing volume manager?
    The current volume manager in Nova will continue to exist.  Lunr will be
an "optional" volume service, similar in a way to how the Network as a
Service project will be developing.

  * I'm vendor X and would like to ensure that my storage system works with
Openstack and/or contribute.  How do I do this?

    There is great interest from many vendors in working with Lunr.  At the
base level, we will be adopting a very similar (if not the same) driver
approach that is currently in the Nova volume service.  This will provide a
simple interface for storage providers to integrate their storage products
into Lunr.  If you are interested, please participate in the community
discussion around the API and development of the system, and if you can,
come to the next developer summit and talk with us.

  * Are we throwing away perfectly good Nova volume manager code?  Why do a
separate project rather than extending the current implementation?

    The existing Nova volume manager will continue to exist, with Lunr
extending and evolving the future of block storage for in Openstack.  We
will re-use code and ideas from the Nova volume manager where it makes
sense.  Having a volume manager that is independent of Nova, while allowing
Nova and other services to consume the volume services through a defined
API, is a design pattern that is consistent with other Openstack services
(for example Glance and Networks)

    Moving forward, the Openstack block storage system needs to evolve to
allow for true enterprise and service provider functionality; such as mixed
storage targets, tiered storage targets, QOS scheduling, and many other
aspects of block storage management for private and public clouds.  The most
efficient manner for the Openstack community to accomplish this is to
separate the concerns of volume management from compute orchestration.

--
Chuck Thier (@creiht)