[Openstack] Enhancements to Glance in Diablo? Input welcomed

Devin Carlen devin.carlen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 18:08:37 UTC 2011

Hey guys,

I think there are two things I'd like to discuss to put some of this in context.

First, the openstack-dashboard project itself is essentially nothing more than a "sample site" that shows how to integrate with django-nova.  So I'd say if you're looking to build something, you don't want to build it on top of openstack-dashboard, you just want to expose it there, which django makes pretty easy. (I'm mainly just making the semantic distinction.)

xtoddx just proposed a merge for a nova based system panel extension called something like django-nova-syspanel as a separate module next to django-nova.

So we know we need to add syspanel stuff, swift stuff, glance stuff, burrow stuff, etc.

So on to my second point, which is that we should rename django-nova to django-openstack and create submodules within.  Then we can reuse exception handling, decorators, base views (now that django 1.3 supports class based views), etc.

This is actually pretty easy to do and I'd call it a Medium Tshirt.

So anyone building a Django based UI that used one or more pieces of django-openstack can then pick and choose which they want to expose using the actual django site container's urls.py. Django is really great at this.

Then openstack-dashboard can continue to be a single reference implementation of all these things.

Devin