[Openstack] What each Bug status should mean

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 25 09:31:03 UTC 2010

Soren Hansen wrote:
> 2010/11/24 Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Soren Hansen <soren at openstack.org> wrote:
>>> I've set bugs to confirmed once I've decided that it's likely an
>>> actual bug. This may include reproducing it or just looking at it and
>>> going "oh, yeah, I totally believe that could happen."
>> To me, Reproducible == Confirmed.
>
> That's the semantics I attach to it as well. However, sometimes you just
> don't really need a (computer driven) python interpreter to reproduce
> bugs :)
>
>> I don't really see a need for Triaged at all...that's what the bug
>> priority/importance is for.
>
> It just denotes how far along in the triage process the bug is. Setting
> it to triaged means (to me) that I've not only verified that the patient
> really is injured, but also decided what procedure to perform on them.

Right, there is little value in using "Triaged" just as ("Confirmed" +
Importance set). We all seem to agree that "Confirmed" should be used
when a bug is reproduced or otherwise acknowledged as real. If you
confirm that the symptoms are real, you know their impact and should set
the Importance... Setting the Importance really early is key to good
prioritization of buglist work.

Then we can use "Triaged" for more than just "Confirmed with an
importance set". We can use it to indicate when the bug is fully
understood and the procedure to follow is clear, like soren explains.

When you do the Triaging analysis, sometimes you realize the fix will
just be a few minutes away and you'd directly work on a branch to fix it
(set it "In progress"), but some other time you would just post the
results of your analysis as a comment and set it to "Triaged".

To use medical analogies, "Confirmed" would be a first-stage triage
where you verify the symptoms and set a priority. "Triaged" would be
when the patient is diagnosed, when we know the course of action. "In
progress" would be when the treatment is applied.

> Maybe it's just me, but I find that I do one of these things well when
> I'm in one mental mode, and need to be in another mental mode to do the
> other well, so I find the separation useful.

I fully agree with that. Sometimes I'm in a confirming mood and should
look at transforming New bugs into "Confirmed with an Importance set"
ones. At some other point I'd be into debugging/diagnosis mode and would
work at transforming Confirmed bugs into Triaged ones. Finally in
bugfixing mode I would like to have ready-to-be-worked-on bugs, and just
pick a few "Triaged" ones and assign myself to them and set them "In
progress"...

--
Thierry