[Openstack] [RFC] Process for adding core developers

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 21 19:51:10 UTC 2010

Rick Clark wrote:
> I wrote a simple process for adding core developers and would like
> feedback from the community before I take it to the board for approval.
>  Basically an applicant would send an email to this list asking to be a
> core dev for a certain sub-project, i.e., Nova.  They would then need
> approval responses from  5 current core developers or a majority of
> current core developers, whichever is smaller, from that sub-project.
>
> The proposal is here:
> http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Proposed/CoreDevProcess
>
> Please comment. :)

Sounds good to me.

I also agree that we need a process for removing core developers. The
idea being that core developers that do not have time to actually review
the proposed branches should just be simple "developers". Being a core
dev is more duties than rights, so people should step down considerately
by themselves. But if they don't, it is tricky to define a process that
fixes it...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack