[openstack-tc] Design Summit video advice for session moderators

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Mar 25 13:29:02 UTC 2016

On 25/03/16 11:48 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>Hi TC members,
>
>We have less than one month before the Austin Summit. With the advent
>of the big tent, we'll have a lot of new teams and design summit
>session moderators there. Those could benefit from best practices and
>advice from experienced moderators.
>
>The Foundation staff suggested that we hold a video hangout / webinar
>to distill short pieces of advice, and then send links to that video
>to PTLs and other design summit session moderators.
>
>We could do it as a free-form discussion across a limited set of
>people, all recorded (using Google Hangouts on Air like for the
>Bootstrapping Hour). However I fear that would result in a long video
>that could be missing critical points.
>
>Alternatively we could think about it and lay out the points we want
>to make on an Etherpad, and then have people sign up to pick one they
>are comfortable with and speak about it for one minute. We can still
>use a collective session on hangouts as a way to collect and build the
>common video, but we would build the script in advance.

Collecting points on an etherpad or a hangout session sounds good to me! I think
having an organized format (even if somewhat informal) is better than a
free-form discussion. A free-form discussion is likely to miss important info,
as you also pointed out.

>What would be your preference ? Who on the TC would be interested to
>participate ? We can certainly include folks beyond the TC as well (we
>had volunteers at the last meeting and I CCed them here). Would be
>good to have some gender/geographic diversity on the resulting vid.

I'm happy to help and participate. If we can pull this out next week, that would
be perfect for me. I won't have good bandwidth in the weeks prior to the summit
and I don't want that to affect the session.

Flavio