[openstack-tc] Reddwarf application for incubation

Michael Basnight mbasnight at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 14:47:39 UTC 2013

On Apr 26, 2013, at 3:02 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 17:31 -0400, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> For me, I think that RedDwarf is a good fit for us, and I see it as an
>> essential part of a cloud offering. I'm not sure about where it falls in
>> the IaaS/PaaS split, and I have to be honest I don't care, because I
>> don't think that a user of a cloud ever says "today I want to use some
>> IaaS!"
>
> That's where I'm at too, I think.
>
> To the point that such services should be based on Heat and that there
> should be a framework for building similar services - that's my instinct
> too and if there's general agreement on that point, I'd be wary of
> RedDwarf entering Incubation without progress being made in that
> direction.
>
> I mean, who knows - if someone came along with a new project to
> implement such a generic framework, I think we'd want to incubate *that*
> project and encourage RedDwarf to port to it. I don't see why we should
> decide now that RedDwarf will be the basis that generic framework.

Funny you mention that. We actually began with reddwarf being a generic PaaS project and were told by multiple people in the community to focus instead on database as a service, and not try to tackle PaaS. IIRC some issues around it were 1) do the implementations of said PaaS project live _in_ the skeleton, 2) How would a generic api look for PaaS 3) its too big a concept to focus on...

That being said, reddwarf _was_ built to be a PaaS product. 2 summits ago i used reddwarf to spin up a apache, nfs, and mysql node and put wordpress on them. If thats what you want, then we already have that. The code was designed in such a way that the DBaaS portion of reddwarf is in a very specific place, and the code that spins up / manages instances is separated.

So, we are both DBaaS and a first shot at a generic framework for PaaS for applications that need more than just basic instrumenting. Weve got it covered :) I originally wanted to lead what you are referring to Mark, and tried to drive this project as such, even though we focused on DBaaS.