[openstack-tc] Policy on "3rd party" APIs and Nova

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 19:33:59 UTC 2012

On 11/02/2012 12:56 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> My opinion - the GCE work looks awesome, it's an exciting new feature
> and it's the kind of awesome new feature by awesome developers that we
> should be facilitating.
>
> We have a long term goal of facilitating work like this happening
> outside of Nova, but no real sign of that goal coming about in the
> medium term.
>
> We shouldn't let our idealistic long term plans get in the way of
> pragmatic, exciting progress happening now.

Yeah, I mostly agree with what you're saying above and in the rest of
the post. That said, however, the rub is that while the GCE work looks
awesome, this whole topic came up, IIRC, because of the OCCI-compatible
work that had been proposed. I personally didn't care for the OCCI work
and didn't want it in Nova core.

While I personally wouldn't mind seeing the GCE work in core, because I
think the work is better, it sets a precedent vs. the current
"exception" of the EC2 API being in core.

Once there is precedent, we either need to let everything in, or we need
to be picky about the winners and losers. The intent 6 months ago was to
NOT pick winners and losers intentionally, and make a statement that we
intended to only have the native REST API in core long-term.

If that decision is to be reversed, are nova-core folks willing to pick
the winners and losers or if not, are they willing to let all comers
into the code base?

-jay