[Openstack-sigs] [tc]Global Reachout Proposal

Jaesuk Ahn bluejay.ahn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 01:10:45 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 5:30 AM Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

> Perhaps there are others too?
>
> Obvious questions to ask from there would be:
>
> - Whether this is the most important issue facing contributors from the
> APAC region
>
> - To what extent the proposed solution is expected to help

I do agree with Zane on the above point.

As one of OpenStack participants from Asia region, I will put my personal
opinion.
IRC and ML has been an unified and standard way of communication in
OpenStack Community, and that has been a good way to encourage "open
communication" on a unified method wherever you are from, or whatever
background you have. If the whole community start recognize some other
tools (say WeChat) as recommended alternative communication method because
there are many people there, ironically, it might be a way to break
"diversity" and "openness" we want to embrace.

Using whatever social media (or tools) in a specific region due to any
reason is not a problem. Anyone is free to use anything. Only thing we need
to make sure is, if you want to communicate officially with the whole
community, there is a very well defined and unified way to do it. This is
currently IRC and ML. Some of Korean dev has difficulties to use IRC.
However, there is not a perfect tool out there in this world, and we accept
all the reason why the community selected IRC as official tool

But, that being said, There are some things I am facing with IRC from here
in Korea

As a person from Asia, I do have some of pain points. Because of time
differences, often, I have to do achieve searching since most of
conversations happened while I am sleeping. IRC is not a good tool to
perform "search backlog". Although there is message archive you can dig, it
is still hard. This is a problem. I do love to see any technical solution
for me to efficiently and easily go through irc backlog, like most of
modern chat tools.

Secondly, IRC is not a popular one even in dev community here in Korea. In
addition, in order to properly use irc, you need to do extra work,
something like setting up bouncing server. I had to do google search to
figure out how to use it. In that sense, It would be great to have
OpenStack community provided, simplified and well-written, written in
multiple language, IRC guide docs. Alternatively, if OpenStack community
can provide a good web-based irc client tool, that would be fantastic.

As I described the above, we can certainly have a healthy discussion on
what different and real problems we are facing from Asia.
However, I don't think this TC resolution is good way to do that.

Cheers,
--

Jaesuk Ahn, Team Lead
Virtualization SW Lab, SW R&D Center