[Openstack-sigs] [self-healing][all] Expose SIG to user/ops

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Mon Sep 3 17:16:11 UTC 2018

Rico Lin <rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com> wrote:
>> This sounds like a great idea to me!  I've submitted a story for this:
>>
>>     https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2003423
>>
>> and set up an etherpad for brainstorming:
>>
>>     https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/self-healing-user-survey-questions
>
>I think those two questions are quite great. Just put some extra idea in
>that.
>Also, I have proposed you're etherpad under UC discussions in PTG
>https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/uc-stein-ptg

Cool, thanks!

[snipped]

>> This sounds reasonable.  We already link to the StoryBoard from the
>> SIG portal wiki page:
>>

>https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Self-healing_SIG#Community_Infrastructure_.2F_Resources
>>
>> but yes we could also proactively announce this in places which would
>> reach more users and operators, inviting them to submit stories.  Can
>> you suggest how best to do this?  We could email the openstack and
>> openstack-operators lists, although TBH I have done this several times
>> in the past and not gotten much engagement - probably because both
>> lists are very high traffic.
>
>I guess we should keep trying to propose in ML. There're two more places I
>think we can try on. As we might be able to have our own page in User
>survey, I think we're allow to put more message to point a place(our git
>repo, or an etherpad) for Users who like to add more information during
>that survey. The second place is SuperUser MagZ. If we can come's up with
>an article (which we can plan in PTG if we like to have one) to introduce
>our plan, works, and needs. I think Super User will willing to help us post
>that article out. If we got some article, we can Use official OpenStack
>social media (FB, Twitter, etc) to broadcast that information.

An article in SuperUser is a great idea, and it's really funny (and
good!) that you suggested that, because Lauren and Allison already
suggested that to me, and I made an initial plan which includes asking
you to help write the material ;-)

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/HA-self-healing-article

I would also like to invite other PTLs working in the self-healing
space (e.g. Ifat, Eric) to contribute, and anyone else who thinks they
could help (e.g. Nemat, Andrew B).  I've added this and a few other
things to the agenda for Denver:

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/self-healing-sig-stein-ptg

>> I love this idea, and yes the self-healing-sig git repository could
>> absolutely be the home for this gating code.  I suspect that a big
>> part of the challenge will be to simulate failures in order to test
>> the self-healing functionality.  In fact we already have a story
>> regarding automated testing:
>>
>>     https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2002129
>>
>> although that is much more ambitious in scope, i.e. building a
>> complete framework which could support testing of many different
>> self-healing scenarios.  I have some documentation on the Eris project
>> which I am planning to upload to the repository on this.
>>
>> However your proposal sounds less ambitious and more likely to be
>> achievable in the short-term, so I'd love to learn more about how you
>> think this might work (unfortunately I don't know much about Tempest
>> internals yet).
>
>Since the git just updated with more official project format, we can add
>Zuul.yaml to define our periodic job I think we already got a lot of places
>to add tempest test(I think we might be able to use heat-tempest-plugin
>too), so we shouldn't need to build our own tempest repo

Sounds good!  Let's discuss further at the PTG!