[Openstack-sigs] [First Contact][SIG] [PTG] Summary of Discussions

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:00:19 UTC 2018

Hello Everyone :)

It was wonderful to see and talk with so many of you last week! For those
that couldn't attend our whole day of chats or those that couldn't attend
at all, I thought I would put forth a summary of our discussions which were
mostly noted in the etherpad[1]

#Contributor Guide#

- Walkthrough: We walked through every section of what exists and came up
with a variety of improvements on what is there. Most of these items have
been added to our StoryBoard project[2]. This came up again Tuesday in docs
sessions and I have added those items to StoryBoard as well.

- Google Analytics: It was discussed we should do something about getting
the contributor portal[3] to appear higher in Google searches about
onboarding. Not sure what all this entails. NEEDS AN OWNER IF ANYONE WANTS
TO VOLUNTEER.

#Mission Statement#

We updated our mission statement[4]! It now states:

To provide a place for new contributors to come for information and advice.
This group will also analyze and document successful contribution models
while seeking out and providing information to new members of the community.

#Weekly Meeting#

We discussed beginning a weekly meeting- optimized for APAC/Europe and
settled on 800 UTC in #openstack-meeting on Wednesdays. Proposed here[5].
For now I added a section to our wiki for agenda organization[6]. The two
main items we want to cover on a weekly basis are new contributor patches
in gerrit and if anything has come up on ask.openstack.org about
contributors so those will be standing agenda items.

#Forum Session#

We discussed proposing some forum sessions in order to get more involvement
from operators. Currently, our activities focus on development activities
and we would like to diversify. When this SIG was first proposed we wanted
to have two chairs- one to represent developers and one to represent
operators. We will propose a session or two when the call for forum
proposals go out (should be today).

#IRC Channels#
We want to get rid of #openstack-101 and begin using #openstack-dev
instead. The 101 channel isn't watched closely enough anymore and it makes
more sense to move onboarding activities (like in OpenStack Upstream
Institute) to a channel where there are people that can answer questions
rather than asking those to move to a new channel. For those concerned
about noise, OUI is run the weekend before the summit when most people are
traveling to the Summit anyway.

#Ongoing Onboarding Efforts#

- GSOC: Unfortunately we didn't get accepted this year. We will try again
next year.

- Outreachy: Applications for the next round of interns are due March 22nd,
2018 [7]. Decisions will be made by April and then internships run May to
August.

- WoO Mentoring: The format of mentoring is changing from 1x1 to cohorts
focused on a single goal. If you are interested in helping out, please
contact me! I NEED HELP :)

- Contributor guide: Please see the above section.

- OpenStack Upstream Institute: It will be run, as usual, the weekend
before the Summit in Vancouver. Depending on how much progress is made on
the contributor guide, we will make use of it as opposed to slides like
previous renditions. There have also been a number of OpenStack Days
requesting we run it there as well. More details of those to come.

#Project Liaisons#

The list is filling out nicely, but we still need more coverage. If you
know someone from a project not listed that might be willing to help,
please reach out to them and get them added to our list [8].

I thiiiiiink that is just about everything. Hopefully I at least covered
everything important :)

Thanks Everyone!

- Kendall Nelson (diablo_rojo)

[1] PTG Etherpad https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/FC_SIG_Rocky_PTG