[Openstack-sigs] [ResMgmt SIG]Proposal to form Resource Management SIG

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:26:21 UTC 2018

Hi all,

With the maturing of resource provider/placement feature landing in
OpenStack in recent release, and also in light of Kubernetes community
increasing attention to the similar effort, I want to propose to form a
Resource Management SIG as a contact point for OpenStack community to
communicate with Kubernetes Resource Management WG[0] and other related
SIGs.

The formation of the SIG is to provide a gathering of similar interested
parties and establish an official channel. Currently we have already
OpenStack developers actively participating in kubernetes discussion (e.g.
[1]), we would hope the ResMgmt SIG could further help such activities and
better align the resource mgmt mechanism, especially the data modeling
between the two communities (or even more communities with similar desire).

I have floated the idea with Jay Pipes and Chris Dent and received positive
feedback. The SIG will have a co-lead structure so that people could
spearheading in the area they are most interested in. For example for me as
Cyborg dev, I will mostly lead in the area of acceleration[2].

If you are also interested please reply to this thread, and let's find a
efficient way to form this SIG. Efficient means no extra unnecessary
meetings and other undue burdens.

[0]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j3vrG6BgE0hUDs2e-1ZUegKN4W4Adb1B6oJ6j-4kyPU/edit?usp=sharing
[1] https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/782
[2] https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/labels/area%2Fhw-accelerators

--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado