[Openstack-sigs] [First Contact]Initial Ideas on forming the First Contact SIG

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Sep 25 17:41:11 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2017-09-25 16:51:28 +0100:
> Zhipeng Huang wrote:
> > [...]
> > *Goals*:
> > 1. To serve as the first contact point when project develop team finding
> > something extraordinary.
> > 2. To serve as the first contact point for local community to reach out
> > to the dev community, whether it is first-comer onboarding, language
> > translation issue, culture issue, etc.
> > 3. To enable groups like Upstream Institute to maximize their
> > capabilities on helping individuals, especially first-comers.
> > 4. To enable local chapters could get a direct line with the dev
> > community (not the foundation governance layer since we already have
> > many links on that level) without involvement of more  non-tech interest
> > parties.
> > 5 To work with Linux Foundation CHAOSS program on project merit
> > identification.
> > [...]
> Frankly, I'm wondering how much of these issues would be solved (and
> then some) by encouraging more *mentoring*. What people need (whether
> they come from different cultures, or they come with only little time to
> dedicate to the project) is a direct contact with a friendly human
> helping them to figure it out.
>
> We have always had mentors in OpenStack under one form or another.
> Should we reinvigorate that effort ? Not completely sure a SIG is the
> best format for that (since it's more of a helpdesk thing than a group
> newcomers would join for the long-term).

Well, my idea for this group was that it was specifically intended to
help newcomers find where to go next. Part of that might be pairing them
with a mentor of some sort. I think actually managing a mentoring
program is probably a large enough responsibility that it deserves its
own group (SIG, WG, whatever).

Doug