[Openstack-sigs] [First Contact]Initial Ideas on forming the First Contact SIG

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Sep 25 15:51:28 UTC 2017

Zhipeng Huang wrote:
> [...]
> *Goals*:
> 1. To serve as the first contact point when project develop team finding
> something extraordinary.
> 2. To serve as the first contact point for local community to reach out
> to the dev community, whether it is first-comer onboarding, language
> translation issue, culture issue, etc.
> 3. To enable groups like Upstream Institute to maximize their
> capabilities on helping individuals, especially first-comers.
> 4. To enable local chapters could get a direct line with the dev
> community (not the foundation governance layer since we already have
> many links on that level) without involvement of more  non-tech interest
> parties.
> 5 To work with Linux Foundation CHAOSS program on project merit
> identification.
> [...]
Frankly, I'm wondering how much of these issues would be solved (and
then some) by encouraging more *mentoring*. What people need (whether
they come from different cultures, or they come with only little time to
dedicate to the project) is a direct contact with a friendly human
helping them to figure it out.

We have always had mentors in OpenStack under one form or another.
Should we reinvigorate that effort ? Not completely sure a SIG is the
best format for that (since it's more of a helpdesk thing than a group
newcomers would join for the long-term).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)