[openstack-qa] Post job failures

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed Oct 1 10:56:51 UTC 2014

On 10/01/2014 11:39 AM, Joshua Hesketh wrote:
> Hello QA team,
>
> When a job fails in the post queue (which have jobs that are triggered
> on a change being merged) no warning or failure message is sent anywhere
> so it does so silently. This has caused an issue in the past[0] and
> there are likely more cases we don't know about.
>
> We should report failures somewhere but since post jobs don't come from
> gerrit they can't be reported back to gerrit trivially. And even if we
> could it would be a comment on a closed change.
>
> My feeling is an easy solution is to email somewhere when a post job
> fails. However I'm not sure where might be an appropriate location for
> that. Would this mailing list, for example, be a good place to start and
> then see how we go?
>
> I've set up the change here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/125298/

My concern is that we have some broken post jobs already and might get
many emails. Jim Blair did a quick search and found 15-20 per day.

As an example, glance_store's coverage post job will always fail since
it misses a requirement (fix at [1]). There are more of these jobs.

Should we enable the mails and then push projects to fix their jobs? Or
should we first try to get those fixed to have less emails?

We really need some kind of notification somewhere, otherwise we have
critical jobs failing for a long time ;(

Andreas

[1]
https://review.openstack.org/125301