[openstack-qa] gate/smoke tags

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Mon May 20 10:24:50 UTC 2013

On 05/20/2013 11:30 AM, Pavel Sedlák wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 11:00 +0200, Giulio Fidente wrote:
>> When should we set such a tag?
>
> Not sure if I missed additional change, but it does actually the
> opposite:
> - 'smoke' is subset of 'gate'
>    - so where the 'smoke' is, it implies also the 'gate'
>    - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/29688/
> - if it would in reverse as you point to:
>    - it would become 'addition' set to 'gate', not subset

Agreed, thanks for pointing that out, initially I did not understand the
nature of the changes.

But now that I do, and please don't look bad to me, I think these
changes are quit confusing if not a bad hack.

We seem to be transparently adding the 'gate' boolean to tests which
have the 'smoke' boolean set and I do not understand the purpose of
doing this.

Also, not many contributing will expect tags to work like that because
no test framework (that I know) behaves like that. If you set a tag you
don't expect another tag to be added silently.

I'd have preferred to keep the tags as a list, setting both, smoke and
gate, where needed.

But the thing is, I'd like to make good use of this now. Maybe it is
just the tags naming choice which makes it confusing for me.

As far as I understand:
  - we use 'gate' for tests to be executed when gating
  - we do not set any tag for slow running tests

When do we set the smoke tag?
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA | IRC: giulivo