[openstack-qa] gate/smoke tags

Pavel Sedlák psedlak at redhat.com
Mon May 20 09:30:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 11:00 +0200, Giulio Fidente wrote:
> On 05/18/2013 02:24 PM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've noticed with the recent changesets add gate/smoke tags that some
> > tests have the gate tag, some have the smoke tag, and some have both.
> > I'm wondering if there are really cases where we intend on having a
> > test in smoke but not gate?
> >
> > ie. Should we consider gate to be a superset of smoke and so not have
> > to mark a test as gate if it is already tagged smoke?
>
> I noticed the discussion went further and changes have been made to
> remove the smoke tag where also the gate was applied
>
> I'm totally okay with that but I need some help understand the meaning
> of 'smoke'
>
> When should we set such a tag?

Not sure if I missed additional change, but it does actually the
opposite:
- 'smoke' is subset of 'gate'
  - so where the 'smoke' is, it implies also the 'gate'
  - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/29688/
- if it would in reverse as you point to:
  - it would become 'addition' set to 'gate', not subset

--
Pavel Sedlák <psedlak at redhat.com>
Red Hat