[openstack-qa] RFC: moving discussions to -dev channels?

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Jul 15 12:24:31 UTC 2013

On 07/15/2013 05:45 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> So one of the things that I've been thinking about recently is the fact that we've
> separated ourselves out a bit by having our own IRC channel and mailing list. In some ways
> that's useful, as the content on both of those channels is very focused.
>
> However in other ways that's less useful, because we don't have the engagement of the core
> devs on other projects unless we go and fish for it explicitly. A lot of tempest / grenade
> changes at this point need coordination with projects because we are tracking behavior
> changes upstream, or getting into more niggly versions of the interpretation of the API.
>
> My current thinking is maybe it's time to deprecate the mailing list and drive our
> conversations back on the openstack-dev list instead. My hope is that it would also make
> us more discoverable as a group, and get more folks involved with the overall QA Program.
>
> I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this. I realize -dev is a lot of email, so
> it's something I'd like folks views on.

Yeah, I've been thinking of it a bit, wondering how all these myriad of these components
are going to co-ordinate. Thanks for bringing this up.

You have my vote (fwiw) for using -dev, just filter the subject line to -dev with
[openstack-qa], so that folks not interested in it can simply mark the thread as "read"?

However, if folks think traffic on -dev is unbearable, an inelegant option is cross
posting? (this is done in Fedora communities where core -dev attention is required). But I
know cross-posting in generally is frowned upon..

--
/kashyap