[openstack-qa] Draft QA mission statement

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jul 10 15:22:51 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 08:16 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 07/10/2013 08:02 AM, Jay Turner wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 09:24 -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
>>> Official Title: OpenStack Quality Assurance
>>> PTL: TBD
>>> Mission Statement: Develop and maintain tools to ensure the upstream
>>> stability and quality of OpenStack, and it's release readiness at any
>>> point during the cycle.
>>>
>>> Trying to not get too far behind the other programs, here's a draft
>>> mission statement. Word smithing would be appreciated.
>>
>> Maybe I'm being too pedantic, but the statement above is focused
>> entirely on the development and maintenance of tools and says nothing
>> about the execution of these tools, thus implying another group will
>> take that responsibility.  I do not believe that to be the case :-)
>>
>> "Develop, maintain, and initiate tools and plans to ensure the upstream
>> stability and quality of OpenStack, and its release readiness at any
>> point during the cycle."
>
> Well, it is a very mixed responsibility, as the execution is actually as
> part of Infrastructure. The QA team isn't about running things manually.
>
> That being said I think the plans statement has merrit, and I think it's
> a good add. There are a lot of ands in that sentence now though, more
> word smithing probably appreciated. :)
>
> Honestly, I could really use Monty's POV here as well, as it's super
> easy for the Infra and QA mission statements to bleed so heavily into
> each other that they are a little indistinguishable. Which is honestly a
> good thing in some ways, as it shows how much we work together to do the
> right thing for OpenStack.

We've actually kept that split for a reason. Infra runs the tools, we
don't technically care what the heck they do (we do care, but not in
that way) QA creates the tools (tempest) and the test content (the tests
in tempest) It's not their job to make sure they run. (although clearly
they help on that count too)

However, I have no problem with the plans and initiate words being added.