[openstack-qa] Draft QA mission statement

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jul 10 12:16:45 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 08:02 AM, Jay Turner wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 09:24 -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
>> Official Title: OpenStack Quality Assurance
>> PTL: TBD
>> Mission Statement: Develop and maintain tools to ensure the upstream
>> stability and quality of OpenStack, and it's release readiness at any
>> point during the cycle.
>>
>> Trying to not get too far behind the other programs, here's a draft
>> mission statement. Word smithing would be appreciated.
>
> Maybe I'm being too pedantic, but the statement above is focused
> entirely on the development and maintenance of tools and says nothing
> about the execution of these tools, thus implying another group will
> take that responsibility.  I do not believe that to be the case :-)
>
> "Develop, maintain, and initiate tools and plans to ensure the upstream
> stability and quality of OpenStack, and its release readiness at any
> point during the cycle."

Well, it is a very mixed responsibility, as the execution is actually as
part of Infrastructure. The QA team isn't about running things manually.

That being said I think the plans statement has merrit, and I think it's
a good add. There are a lot of ands in that sentence now though, more
word smithing probably appreciated. :)

Honestly, I could really use Monty's POV here as well, as it's super
easy for the Infra and QA mission statements to bleed so heavily into
each other that they are a little indistinguishable. Which is honestly a
good thing in some ways, as it shows how much we work together to do the
right thing for OpenStack.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague