[openstack-qa] Tempest Coverage Analysis and Gaps in Compute Tests

Matthew Treinish treinish at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 29 22:54:04 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

I've started working on an analysis of the coverage reports generated by the
periodic Jenkins jobs:

https://jenkins.openstack.org/job/periodic-tempest-devstack-coverage-vm-full/

I wanted to see how good a job tempest is doing for covering the Nova API code.
Right now we've got some gaps in what is being tested in a tempest full gate
run. I've started putting up a list of what functionality is missing from the
tempest runs here:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/coverage-analysis

The periodic jobs uses the same configuration as our current gate jobs, so
there are couple cases where we having testing but they depend on things not
set in tempest.conf (Resize action for example)

Then based on the results of the coverage report I put together a list of
proposed additional tests here:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/MissingTempestTests

Keep in mind that both of these etherpads are still WIP (and quite incomplete)
and I'll be continually updating them over the next few days until I go through
the rest of the coverage reports. I just wanted to share what I'm working on
and some of the initial findings. Feel free to ping me on IRC for specifics or
questions about any of this.

Thanks,

Matt Treinish