[Openstack-operators] Developer Mailing List Digest February 10-16th

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 21:06:26 UTC 2018

HTML version: https://www.openstack.org/blog/?p=8321

Please help shape the future of the Developer Mailing List Digest with this two
question survey:
https://openstackfoundation.formstack.com/forms/openstack_developer_digest_feedback

Contribute to the Dev Digest by summarizing OpenStack Dev and SIG List threads:
* https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/devdigest
* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/
* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-sigs

Success Bot Says
================
None for this week. Tell us yours in OpenStack IRC channels using the command
"#success <comment>"

More: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Successes

Thanks Bot Says
===============
* diablo_rojo on #openstack-101 [0]: spotz for watching the #openstack-101
  channel and helping to point newcomers to good resources to get them started
  :)
* fungi on #openstack-infra [1]: dmsimard and mnaser for getting deep-linking
  in ara working for firefox
* fungi on #openstack-infra [2]: to Matt Van Winkle for volunteering to act as
  internal advocate at Rackspace for our control plane account there!
* AJaeger on #openstack-doc [3]: corvus for deleting /draft content
* AJaeger on #openstack-infra [4]: cmurphy for your investigation
* AJaeger on #openstack-infra [5]: to mordred for laying wonderful groundwork
  with the tox_siblings work.
* smcginnis on #openstack-infra [6]: fungi jeblair mordred AJaeger and other
  infra-team members for clearing up release job issues
* fungi on #openstack-infra [7]: zuul v3 for having such detailed configuration
  syntax error reporting.
* fungi on #openstack-dev [8]: diablo_rojo and persia for smooth but "rocky"
  ptl elections!
* Tell us yours in OpenStack IRC channels using the command "#thanks <comment>"
* More: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Thanks

[0] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-101/%23openstack-101.2017-12-13.log.html
[1] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-infra/%23openstack-infra.2017-12-20.log.html
[2] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-infra/%23openstack-infra.2018-01-09.log.html
[3] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-doc/%23openstack-doc.2018-01-22.log.html
[4] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-infra/%23openstack-infra.2018-01-30.log.html
[5] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-infra/%23openstack-infra.2018-02-03.log.html
[6] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-infra/%23openstack-infra.2017-12-11.log.html
[7] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-infra/%23openstack-infra.2018-02-14.log.html
[8] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-dev/%23openstack-dev.2018-02-15.log.html

Community Summaries
===================
Nova Placement update [0]
Release Countdown [1]
TC Report [2]
Technical Committee Status update [3]

[0] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127473.html
[1] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127465.html
[2] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127324.html
[3] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127467.html

PTG Bot HOWTO for Dublin
========================
The third PTG is an event where topics of discussion are loosely scheduled in
tracks to maximize the attendee productivity. To keep track of what's happening
currently we have an event schedule page [0]. Below are some helpful
discussions in using PTG bot:

Track Leads
-----------
Track leads will be able issue various commands [1] in irc channel
#openstack-ptg:
* #TRACK now <what's being discussed>
  - example: #swift now brainstorming improvements to the ring.

* Cross project interactions #TRACK now <what's being discussed with other
  #TRACK>:
  - #nova now discussing #cinder interactions

* What's next #TRACK next <what will be discussed>:
  -  #api-sig next at 2pm we'll be discussing pagination woes

* Clear all now and next entries for a track #TRACK clean:
  - #ironic clean

Booking Reservable Rooms
------------------------
Reservable rooms and what's being discussed works the same with it showing on
the event schedule page [0].

Different set of commands:
* Get the slot codes with the book command #TRACK book:
* Book a room with #TRACK book <slot_code>
  - example: #relmgt book Coiste Bainisti-MonP2

Any track can book additional space. These slots are 1 hour and 45 minutes
long. You can ask ttx, diablo_rojo or #openstack-infra to add a track that's
missing. Keep in mind various teams will be soley relying on this for space at
the PTG.

Additional commands can be found in the PTG bot README [1].

[0] - http://ptg.openstack.org/ptg.html
[1] - https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ptgbot/tree/README.rst

Full messages:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127413.html
and
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127414.html

PTL Election Results and Conclusions
====================================
PTL election is over and the results are in [0]! Congrats to returning and new
PTLs!

There were three elections that took place:
* Kolla [1]
* Mistral [2]
* Quality Assurance [3]

On the statistics side, we renewed 17 of the 64 PTLs, so around 27%. Our usual
renewal rate is more around 35%, but we did renew more at the last elections
(40%) so this is likely why we didn't renew as much as usual this time. Much
thanks to our election officials for carrying out this important responsibility
in our community!

[0] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/127404.html
[1] - https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_74983fd83cf5adab
[2] - https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_74983fd83cf5adab
[3] - https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_274f37d8e5497358

Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/thread.html#127404

Election Process Tweaks
=======================
Discussions have started with ways to improve our election process. Current
scripts in place have become brittle that are needed for governance
documentation building that use gerrit lookup functions. Election officials
currently have to make changes to an exception file [0] when email address with
foundation accounts don't match gerrit.

Discussed improvements include:
* Uncouple TC and PTL election processes.
* Make TC and PTL validation functions separate.
* Change how-to-submit-candidacy directions to requires candidates email
  address to match their gerrit and foundation account.

Comments, concerns and better ideas are welcome. The plan is to schedule time
at the PTG to start hacking on some of those items so feedback before then
would be appreciated by your election officials!

[0] - http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/election/tree/exceptions.txt

Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-February/thread.html#127435