[Openstack-operators] getting back onto our IRC channel

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Aug 8 18:54:21 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-08 14:43:33 -0400 (-0400), Chris Morgan wrote:
[...]
> What did not work for me is trying to msg nickserv from the command-line
> IRC client (irssi). I can't send a message to nickserv without connecting,
> and (it seems to me anyway) can't connect without a nickname. Seems a bit
> chicken and egg to this IRC newbie.
[...]

It's been a while since I used irssi personally (switched to weechat
some 5-6 years ago), but it should only have rejected your ability
to auto-join OpenStack official IRC channels until you
registered/identified and not prevented you from connecting to
Freenode. You only need to be in a server buffer and connected to be
able to `/msg nickserv ...` but don't need to be in any channels at
all so shouldn't be a chicken-and-egg scenario.
--
Jeremy Stanley