[Openstack-operators] [ironic][nova][libvirt] Adding ironic to already-existing kvm deployment

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Oct 18 18:37:08 UTC 2017

On 10/18/2017 11:37 AM, Chris Apsey wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm working to add baremetal provisioning to an already-existing libvirt (kvm)
> deployment.  I was under the impression that our currently-existing endpoints
> that already run nova-conductor/nova-scheduler/etc. can be modified to support
> both kvm and ironic, but after looking at the ironic installation guide
> (https://docs.openstack.org/ironic/latest/install/configure-compute.html), this
> doesn't appear to be the case.  Changes are made in the [default] section that
> you obviously wouldn't want to apply to your virtual instances.
>
> Given that information, it would appear that ironic requires that you create an
> additional host to run nova-compute separately from your already-existing
> compute nodes purely for the purpose of managing the ironic-nova integration,
> which makes sense.

I think you could run nova-compute with a config file specified as part of the
commandline.  From what I understand if you run it on the same host as the
libvirt nova-compute you'd need to use a separate hostname for running the
ironic nova-compute since nova uses the binary/hostname tuple to uniquely
identify services in the DB.

Chris