[Openstack-operators] [ironic][nova][libvirt] Adding ironic to already-existing kvm deployment

Chris Apsey bitskrieg at bitskrieg.net
Wed Oct 18 17:37:42 UTC 2017

All,

I'm working to add baremetal provisioning to an already-existing libvirt
(kvm) deployment.  I was under the impression that our
currently-existing endpoints that already run
nova-conductor/nova-scheduler/etc. can be modified to support both kvm
and ironic, but after looking at the ironic installation guide
(https://docs.openstack.org/ironic/latest/install/configure-compute.html),
this doesn't appear to be the case.  Changes are made in the [default]
section that you obviously wouldn't want to apply to your virtual
instances.

Given that information, it would appear that ironic requires that you
create an additional host to run nova-compute separately from your
already-existing compute nodes purely for the purpose of managing the
ironic-nova integration, which makes sense.  However, the ironic
documentation at
https://docs.openstack.org/ironic/latest/install/configure-compute.html
states that:

"The following configuration file must be modified on the Compute
service’s controller nodes and compute nodes"

right before it lays out the minimum config requirements for nova <->
ironic integration, which suggests additional service requirements
beyond just an extra nova-compute.  Do we also need to run separate
instances of nova-scheduler, etc. as well?  I can't seem to find any
documentation that speaks to this.  The current ironic documentation
seems to focus on a baremetal-only deployment scenario.

Currently running Pike.

Thanks in advance,

--
v/r